Tuesday 8 January 2013

Trial and Run


‘Trial and run’ is phrase that I came across in my early twenties. The phrase was introduced to me by a political organization with whom I associated for a short while. Though I left active politics after this short trial, their influence in my life is still felt. I tried politics. I was impressed by their dream. But I run away because politics itself was found to be an uncongenial platform for me. My personality could not fit into the sphere of politics. I am a free thinker and do not want to let somebody think and speak for me. I cannot always repeat like a parrot what my elite think and speak. So I ran away.

I hope that you have already sensed the meaning of the phrase. Trial is testing for a short time. It is going along, sharing and giving. It is accommodating, adjusting and trying to accept. It is dreaming together, and suffering together. We encourage, frustrate, laugh, despair, fall and rise again, along with others.

Trial is a short term association.
But it is done not with an intention of running away. We are sincere in our effort. We dream of a long standing relationship. If we find it comfortable, we decide to go along, building a sustained relationship.

Trial can be a cautious approach too.
As a cautious approach, we are not involving in any activity. We are standing apart and watching. At times, we may try our hand here and there. We do not express our opinion, do not agree or disagree. But we are supportive and trust worthy. We are not a discomfort, but not a dependable alley. If we find, gradually, that this is what we were searching for, we can step into the next phase of building a better relationship.
If we do not find the alley comfortable or satiating, we run away. We may never come again.

What is positive about the method of ‘trial and run’?

One positive side is that we, who are trying, are not in an acute danger. We loss time and energy, but the result is better than other approaches.
If we find it comfortable or profitable to stay along, the relationship we build will be strapping. No other person, situation or influence can weaken it. It will endure long.
If we find it flabby, we have the full freedom to run away.
As we run away, we are not sad. We have just moving away from an uneasy relationship.
The other party is also at comfort, that one who could not associate with them moved away.
We may remain as a friend, but not an alley.

We may run away never to return or return as and when the other party can offer us a better product.
By ‘product’ I mean, a thing, situation, theory, dream, vision etc.

Running away is a positive act. It is not doing harm to the other party. They have their freedom to act, believe, speak and dream. If it is fine for them, we have no reason to quarrel with them.
Running away from them simply means, “I cannot”. It does not mean, “no one can”. We are not telling, “You are wrong”.

A chance for failure is inherent in ‘trial and run’ method. Failure is expected. But we are not aiming at failure. We are trying not to fail, but to succeed. Still, we may fail to go along. We are not frustrated, because we are ready for it. We run away, in search of new pastures.

Trial can be dangerous in some areas. We must be cautious about trial. Even a minute’s association may plunge us in to the deepest pit, in some cases.
In certain cases, ‘run’ may not be easy or even practicable. There are ways that lead to another, but never allow to retreat.
One must use his discretion before starting the ‘trial’. Collecting as much information as we can before we ‘try’ is a wise thing to do to avoid unexpected dangers.

Where can we use this method? Who can practice this method?
The principle of ‘trial and run’ may be applied to any sphere of action. It can be practiced with political parties, religion, social groups, friends, geographical areas etc.
The principle may be practiced by individuals, business firms, political parties (testing the response of the public) etc.
If the business firm is sure of the usefulness of their product, they can challenge the customers to ‘try and run’.

Let me conclude by issuing a challenge my readers to ‘try and run’ the articles I post in this blog.

Further reading:

Prof. Jacob Abraham

Like this blog? Leave a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment