Friday 10 May 2013

Purpose of life


 What is the purpose of our life?

We are not going to discuss the question whether life has a purpose. I strongly believe that human life has a purpose. There may be some who has not recognized the purpose of their life. There are some others who believe that the purpose of life is not a divinely predestined one, but it is a choice of the people. It is fine. Anyway life has a purpose.

What is the purpose of our life?
There may be many answers as there are many human beings in this world. I have no objection to holding different purposes by different people.
Still I believe that all human being share one purpose in common: To Better the life.

Listen to what the great literary figure of 20th century has to say: “We have no more right to consume happiness without producing it than to consume wealth without producing it.” (George Bernard Shaw).

What is happiness is also subjective. True happiness cannot be produced and enjoyed in reclusion. It is a product displayed for sale in the social life of men.
What fun in eating a golden apple in Patmos, the lonely island of persecution?
Happiness is produced as we live among the people and is doubled as we share with other people.

To better life is to better our own life. It is bettering the life of our neighbor.
If the life our neighbor is not better, we cannot enjoy our life.
If all the drivers that drive their car through the Highway are rogues, we will never enjoy driving.
If the super market is crowded with thieves and robbers, we surely fail to enjoy shopping.
If we are living in an area surrounded by criminals, we cannot sleep peacefully.
If all the people in this world are starving and crying for food, our dinner will turn sour.

So to better our life is to better others life.
This is a common, generally shared purpose of all human beings.

I am writing these blogs on life with an intention to better others life. It is bettering my life.
I am giving charity to the poor so that I will not be disturbed by the cry of the poor neighbor while I sit before my dinner table.
I visit a poor man in the hospital and help him to buy medicines because I do not want to see him dead in my neighborhood.
I advise people to work hard and become wealthy because I want a society without thieves and robbers.

I do not mean to say that everything I do has a selfish motive. Rather I wish to draw your attention to the fact that bettering other’s life is bettering you own life.

So to better life is to better your neighbor’s life.
Neighbor is your hell or heaven.

Life has purpose – to better other’s life.
As we leave this world one day, we should draw our last breath with the satisfaction that we could better at least one man’s life. Thus we have contributed our part for the betterment of this world.

This is one important purpose of our life.

Professor Jacob Abraham                                                                            

Like this blog?
Leave a comment below
Subscribe to my blogs
Tell your friend

No comments:

Post a Comment